Saturday 17 October 2015

Post #19 - Selling Things Online If You're An Aspie

Now, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy selling stuff online, but the pitfalls are certainly there.  I cannot recall whether I have already stated on this blog that my brand spanking new Android mobile phone was placed in the back pocket of my jeans when I was upset at work - I duly went into a cubicle and whoosh - it dropped down the toilet.  Cue tears of rage and no, it didn't work any longer and nobody appeared to be able to fix it.

So, as it was a Pay As You Go (PAYG) smartphone with no insurance (wail!) I swapped back to my previous model and bought a brand spanking one online (with enhanced memory power..)  I wondered whether I could sell this one as a 'parts only for spares, water damaged' kind of listing on a popular internet auction site?  So I tried.  Me being me, I described and photographed it very thoroughly and stated everything about its background.  Cue: loads of people asking for buy it now (BIN) prices and other such things.  I took it off sale after a few days and tried selling via the mobile recycling company Envirofone  who promised me some money back for it.  I packaged it all up in the free envelope and off it went.  That didn't stop the automatic harrassing emails from them after about 24 hours though - thank you for that.  Anyway, a few days later they offered me the laughable sum of £26.01 so I requested the phone's return.

I made the decision to re-list it on the internet auction site; was I right?  Almost immediately I had people asking to see the receipt in case it was stolen, more offers to sell off of the site (which is against the rules and other such things.)  Last night took the proverbial biscuit - basically a potential buyer enquired whether it was an insurance fraud.  Nice.  When I challenged her she soon became nasty, but put in a bid anyway.  I removed the bid and contacted the auction company's help centre who were really, well, helpful.

So, anyway, I've gone to another company's recycling department and have requested trade ins for two old smartphones and an old tablet computer.  If they're good then I'll try selling this one on.

The conclusion of this tale is: Aspies like rules and they tend to tell the truth and this is often a toxic combination when selling items online.  I like it when it works, but when it doesn't, boy can it be distressing.


No comments:

Post a Comment