Thursday 1 October 2015

Post #11 - Diversity and Inclusion at Work

It's currently after midnight and I cannot sleep.  This sometimes happens to me, so I either read something really boring (such as the Radio Times's many articles about a) Benedict Cumberbatch, b) Doctor Who or c) Bake Off), listen to audiobooks or write.  This time I have chosen the third option.

Work - it's a funny old concept for an Aspie isn't it?  Apparently only 15% of people on the Spectrum are in full-time employment, which is pretty low if you stop and think about it.  Why?  Well, from what I know, it's a minefield out there and employers find it hard to place Aspies in roles and the staff themselves, well they struggle, that's for sure.  That's one of the main reasons why I'm working on a communication/training session to inform both the ASC staff themselves as well as their line management.  I've a lot to achieve in the next few months, but you know, I don't think I'm being corny by saying that it's hugely interesting and amazingly rewarding.

This afternoon I was interviewed by our Internal Communications team regarding my role as Chair of the Asperger Syndrome Group at work.  I cannot really say who I work for, nor elaborate much further, but let's just say that it's the public sector and they are still very good at accommodating staff with additional needs.  I hope that I gave a good account of myself during the interview; I was wearing turquoise leggings under my Trinny and Susannah (via eBay from their exclusive QVC range fashion fact fans!) dress and it's too short on me, hence the need for leg coverage.  You don't really need to know that do you?  Oh, I'm an Aspie, forgive me - my mind shoots off in all different directions at times.

I also attended a 'casting call' to find enough people to fulfill the roles for other Diversity projects.  There weren't many people present (well, apart from the panel and the organiser) and there was talk of a representative from RADA to come in and provide some voice/projection coaching, so I'm definitely up for that one.  I hope it's glasses on a lanyard time!

*Edit* - it never happened - I became too ill to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment