Sunday 4 October 2015

Post #14 - Having A Son On The Spectrum - Education, Education, Education

As mentioned in post #1 I have a son on the Spectrum.  He's currently eight-years-old and attends a mainstream school.  I do worry though, as do most parents, but believe me, I'm concerned about his future.  This is a borough with selective education and I know that he probably won't be able to even sit the selection tests, let alone pass them.  There are a couple of large Comprehensives in the area and believe me, he's not going there - I physically shudder at the thought of his blond head being flushed down the toilet.

There is another option - a faith school with an excellent reputation which is located about three miles away.  One of the women in my Choir has three children who are pupils there.  According to the SENCO they have a discrete Autism Unit which would be a perfect fit.  We go to church sporadically and I'll admit that I've never really approved of those who only worship to ensure that their offspring gain a place in a good school, but now the time is fast approaching, I wonder whether to jump on the bandwagon - after all, I was brought up a Christian (despite never being formally Christened - my Father's decision apparently) and attended Sunday School and Pathfinders way into my teens.

It's so difficult, but considering that he's currently in Year 4, I really need to start actually doing something, don't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment