Thursday 3 September 2015

Post #4 - The Private Diagnosis

Now, I won't provide too many details on who actually carried out my private diagnosis, but let's just say that he's well renowned in his field.  It took the form of three separate interactions: the first being at his private practice where he talked me through my notes and asked me to elaborate on various points.  As ever, I was accompanied by my husband who's always a constant source of support.  I recall becoming tearful as I often do when probed about my past; I wish that I didn't, but that's just me.  I was deemed serious enough to qualify to the next stage of the process.  The Psychologist asked me to write a detailed account of my life to date and my husband was requested to do the same.  On reflection and chats with my mentor have found this to be far too detailed, but it was my opinion that he would extract certain elements out of my life story, not just cut and paste it in!

I also had to complete the AQ, EQ and SQ questionnaires - there's a link to these, plus a whole load of other ASC material here: http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/arc_tests  I cannot recall my exact scores on each and quite frankly I don't really wish to provide them at this stage, but the results all fell within the 'yes, you're definitely an Aspie' range.

The day of the diagnosis fell and it took place at work which is located in central London.  I booked a meeting room large enough for three, unfortunately all of the meeting rooms in the building have paper thin walls and you could hear a mouse cough next door.  So, it was supposed to take up to five hours.  Yes, really.  We set up and worked through a series of tests, but I couldn't concentrate as there was somebody in the office next door shouting down the telephone.  We had to ask him to desist, but I couldn't fully engage, I rarely can.

The puzzle element was difficult for me and I didn't recognise all of the weird facial expressions shown on the Psychologist's iPad - in fact, they closely resembled one of my friends, which was nice, albeit bizarre.  You'll be pleased to learn that I excelled at the definitions of words and my voice became monotone at various points. 

The conclusion: after a mere four hours(!) was that yes, I have Asperger Syndrome and no, it no longer exists as part of the DSM V:  http://www.autism.org.uk/about-autism/all-about-diagnosis/changes-to-diagnostic-criteria/qanda-dsm-5.aspx  Huh!  I'm an Aspie, no doubt about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment