Wednesday 23 September 2015

Post #8 - Aspies and Depression

The medical term for this kind of incidence is a 'co-morbid', but this isn't particularly popular with many people for quite obvious reasons.  Morbidity tends to be something which isn't particularly sought after, a bit like the term 'morbidly obese'.  Anyway, 'related condition' sounds much better.  I recall the first time I became depressed - I was about nine-years-old at the time and it occurred just after Christmas when I'd been suffering from a chest infection.  It was pretty horrible.

Yes, depression or clinical depression if you want to be 100% accurate.  I think this is why many people with Autism/AS tend to be mis-diagnosed with bipolar disorder or other conditions such as Borderline Personality Disorder or BPD, although that moniker tends to make me think of Madonna's early 80s hit.  I think it's mostly because an Aspie's world is a confusing one and trying to confirm to what many may call a 'social norm' is difficult and incredibly draining.  I also believe that the onset of autumn makes me topple into Seasonally Affected Disorder (SAD).  Hey ho - plenty of walking around outside for me tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I tend to get SAD around this time of year yet as I loathe the hot summer days, it is something of a relief too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind a bit of sun, but hot spells are a little overwhelming, especially in London. I must dig out my light box. ..

    ReplyDelete