Friday 29 January 2016

Post #43: A Trip Out With My Aspie Mate

A friend of mine, a former colleague from work has recently resigned and therefore is heading back up north to re-join family and friends.  Thus, it would be the last time that I'd be able to see him for a while, so with this in mind, we agreed to meet up at a cafe in Forest Hill we'd talked about before - namely The Archie Parker which is owned by Trevor, one half of the famous 1980s BBC Going Live! comedy duo, namely the 'Singing Corner'.  The Archie Parker is very cute and retro and the vibe is fantastic, furnished as it is with gingham drop leaf tables and with classic Look In covers framed on the walls.

I must admit that my friend, who also has Asperger Syndrome pitched his voice a little too loudly for my comfort.  He also talked at me, rather than to me, but that's what he's like really.  I often do find that males with AS are much more socially awkward than females on the spectrum - I guess that it's all that hiding, fluffing and acting we have to do to get through our lives?

We then had a wander around the Horniman Musuem which was rather lovely. I do rather like the walrus!  There are also some rather wonderful gardens, but the weather was so awful that we deferred our visit to those.

It took two long-winded buses to get there and two buses and one train on the return leg.  I always carry my iPod nano 4th generation player with me in the bag to play when the background noise on the bus gets too much for me to bear.  It's a great strategy and seemingly works well!

No comments:

Post a Comment