Sunday 15 November 2015

Post #27: Depression, Medication and Masking

When I write the term 'Behind The Mask' it puts me in mind of the 1980s song by guitar superhero Eric 'Slowhand' Clapton. There's an excellent lecture on the contents of the aforementioned rock star's bookcase which I once saw performed at one of the Boring Conferences, but seriously though ....

Masking is no joke: the act of hiding one's autistic traits is difficult, tiring and ultimately destructive. I can no longer do it: ergo I cannot function in certain atmospheres. "Why should you?" You may ask? "People are more aware of autism these days?" Well, they're not, they're really not.



I've been on antidepressants for the past eighteen months now: initially on Setraline, but that made me far too weary. Six months in my GP switched me to Fluoxitine; I take 40mg daily, but over the summer tried to reduce it to 20mg. On medical advice I'm back to 40mg.

No comments:

Post a Comment