Monday 17 April 2017

Post #99 - Master Logic At Cub Scouts

My son, who's nine-years-old, is really struggling at Cubs; when he previously attended Beaver Scouts his disability wasn't quite as pronounced and he blended in much more.  He was passed over for promotion to seconder of his six (or whatever the Cub equivalent is) by a boy who's much newer to the Cub Scout Movement than he is.  Master Logic cannot even salute properly - he looks like Benny Hill when he attempts to undertake such a feat:

Image result for benny hill salute pic

The older he gets, the more I notice how far he's slipping away from his peers; how I wish that he were not, but it's a fact.  I often wonder whether he has Classic Autism and all that entails, or Asperger Syndrome, although the latter is no longer a formal diagnosis, as it was removed from the DSM V.  I still state that I have it though.  The school reports state that he doesn't appear to having a learning disability, but I'm not sure - he's behind on so much and his fine and gross motor skills aren't age appropriate.  He still wets the bed at night and cannot do up his shoelaces, I bought him a pair of (adult size four!) Nikes a month ago and you should hear him complain (actually: I wouldn't recommend it).

Anyway, to conclude - we're planning to take him out of Cubs after the end of the summer term as he'll turn ten in late August and as far as I know the age limit for the organisation is ten-and-a-half anyway.  As for Scouts - no bloody way!  I know that the Scout Organisation is supposed to welcome people with disabilities, but I don't think that, in reality, they have the capacity to deal with it. My neurotypical husband tends to help out regularly so that Master Logic doesn't feel too left out.

No comments:

Post a Comment