Monday 3 April 2017

Post #94 - The Reason Why I'm Currently Not Working

I know that I can be over-sensitive at times, but feel the need to take to my blog to defend my current employment situation. I took voluntary redundancy from the Civil Service in late April 2016 after suffering from the repercussions stemming from a serious 'depressive episode' in June 2014. In the fourteen or so months prior to that, I attempted and was repeatedly unable, to obtain a part-time flexible post. I declared my disability on the numerous application forms, which quite frankly can be a double-edged sword: you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Clearly, if you don't live with autism or with an autistic person than you cannot even begin to understand. Having Asperger Syndrome can equip you with a brain the size of a planet, but imagine having to think through every single thing you do - it's exhausting? The world's a difficult place and bring ultra sensitive to noise, light and the environment in general can be pure hell.

If you have a special needs child then working isn't a great option either as the sheer volume of appointments parents and carers need to attend makes taking huge swathes of time off problematic. I often get into conversation with a number of other parents at local support groups and they seem to be in the same position.

I would also like to clarify that I am not in personal receipt of any state benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment