Wednesday 4 August 2021

What I have been doing post redundancy - part one

So, it's 2016 and I'm no longer working as a civil servant; this is both good and bad.  Good because I have some kind of stability at home, but bad because my main sense of worth was achieved via my career.  On the very day the rock star Prince died, 21st April 2016, I had my first grand mal fit which was caused by a huge prescribed dose of Vitamin D mixed with my stomach acid medicine, Ranatadine.  I was rushed to hospital and given electrolytes to re-hydrate my system.  I was under the care of the neurologist for about five years, seeing him annually and having an ECG at King's College Hospital, but no problems were found.  I didn't suffer any further fits until July 2021, some five years later.  

Oh well.  I believe that it's later in 2016 when I make an attempt to join my local National Autistic Society (NAS) branch as a volunteer and end up creating their website.  The lady who taught me was lovely, was a cancer survivor, a great mum and an animal lover and I felt very welcome. Unfortunately, this lady was part of a sister charity and I didn't really like the NAS committee or the committee meetings because I found them to be both cliquey and disorganized - surely having huge swathes of paper littering up one's dining room table isn't particularly professional?  

So, after two or three months on the NAS committee I started to feel like a spare part.  I completed the first tranche of the website work and allowed Mr Logic, my husband, to show it to them as I felt too Aspie to attend that particular meeting.  I used a couple of open access Facebook pictures on there and Mr L said that two members of the committee hit the roof and asked me to take them down with immediate effect.  Quite frankly if you don't want your pictures used online then don't upload them to Facebook.  Me and Mr L resigned from the committee with immediate effect.  I also made a complaint to the Branch Officer regarding the shoddy way I was treated as an autistic woman.  She did nothing much about it.  





No comments:

Post a Comment