Saturday 25 March 2017

Post #91 - Charidee (In A Smashey and Nicey Voice)

I fully admit that I'm a bit of a social pariah, well, I never manage to say the right thing. Recently I put my foot in it by mentioning strongly-held religious beliefs concerning disability to a woman who turned out to be a Jehovah's Witness and there have also been incidents in the recent past.  If in doubt, say nowt is clearly a good rule of thumb.

I often find myself not knowing what to do, act or say. My sense of humour can be bizarre at times. I often feel very awkward about responding to requests - examples of this are feeling very pressurised into sponsoring someone to undertake a charity wing walk to raise money to fund a group to help people with a specific medical condition. The woman in question actually brought a clip board with a sponsor form on it and physically handed the assembled choir members. I felt terrible.  Surely a wing walk is a thing people actually want to do for themselves?  Why should I fund somebody else's leisure activities?  It's my money and I can gift it to whomever I like.  There's a quiz night organised in May and I have no trouble in contributing to join one of the teams.

As a family we do give to charity directly via our joint bank account - one is the National Autistic Society, which does great work in the field.  Obviously I'm a little biased here, but that's a charity which is very close to my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment