Sunday 27 November 2016

Post #79: Dealing With Interpersonal Relationships and Conflict [In A Sensible Manner]

Can I actually do that?  Well, if the events of the past few days are anything to go by, the answer's a resounding no.  Let's rewind (cue: the noise of a cassette screeching ...) - right.  I have a real issue about being let down, which is why I tend to not cancel one-on-one social occasions even if I really don't want to go. I suppose it all dates back to being the odd one out at school and people ridiculing/bullying me.  The trouble is with being an Aspie is that feelings often completely inexplicably overwhelm me and try as I might to address them in a sensible manner, I often flounder.

Yesterday afternoon I met up with my husband and son to enjoy a convivial drink in The Club (not the particular one rap superstar 50 Cent referred to in his song, to the best of my knowledge) but when I drew near I was greeted by the sound of a lone bagpiper and a military drum.  Inside was literally teeming with noisy, sweary, shouty military people replete with nationalistic placards.  I could hardly hear myself think and our autistic son was terrified by the din.  Five minutes after I arrived the 'leader' of the group addressed the assembled troops and stated: "The management here aren't letting our drummer in, so we're off to Wetherspoons - it's either all of us or none of us, drink up lads!" it was uttered in such a menacing tone that my husband was immediately concerned.  The noise level got no better and the category A swearwords emanating from a neighbouring table made me so annoyed that I, leaving the venue, vociferously told them to stop using such abusive language.  I'm not sure that they were suitably chastened, but I'm glad that I did it.

We're complaining ...

*Update*

Our comments were duly noted by The Club's manager and he is taking the appropriate steps to address the issue as we weren't the only ones to raise the issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment