Thursday 3 November 2016

Post #74: The Comfort Zone Is There For A Reason

On Tuesday I went to a gig in trendy east London.  One of my male friends (I'm not a total sleaze: being a female Aspie, the demographic I mostly click with, friends-wise, tend to be straight geeky guys) asked me along as he'd purchased two tickets ages ago when he was dating a London-based party animal.  That said, regular readers of the blog will know that I'm not really suited to such events; I did, however, decided to break outside of my comfort zone and try to embrace a different experience.

As ever, the medium of online coversation is not straightforward; the WhatsApp trail became confusing whilst I was wandering around John Lewis in Westfield East, Stratford and I only got his call when I was en route to Hackney and desperately trying to push my way through the UK's seemingly busiest transport hub, Stratford Station.  He himself has a condition which makes travelling on crowded public transport an issue, so let's just say that the evening didn't really get off to the best start?

Baxters Court, The Wetherspoons in Hackney was absolutely packed, which I'm unsure was a normal occurrence for a Tuesday night, but maybe it was?  Once we'd managed to get a table, it was located far too closely to the one behind, and I had a braying woman shouting in my ear after one couple left and were replaced by a group of urban middle-class east Londoners. That kind of thing always tends to happen to me.

Once we moved onto the gig I was immediately tranported back to the nineties when I was indeed in my twenties and I guess, young.  I'm not really trendy, although I confess that I do wear Ray-Ban Wayfarers, but that's because I'm incredibly shortsighted and really do need them, so they're not really a fashion affectation.  We soon moved into the performance hall and it was ... crowded; people were pushing past all of the time, it was just, far too crazy for me.  I really thought that the night would never end; even though I'd removed my M&S cardigan (yeah, so what?!) and placed my Gap leather jacket over my retro blouse, I was still far too hot.  I can't imagine that I ever managed to glean any enjoyment out of such an evening, I really don't.  Anyway, to cut a long story short, I ended up leaving my friend and getting out a bit early - say, 22:35ish.  He didn't follow, which caused a few communication issues, which we later smoothed out via the medium of text and WhatsApp.

I fully realise that I am far too middle-aged for my own good, but being an Aspie isn't an easy ride sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment