Wednesday 30 December 2020

Post #175 - Christmas 2020



Yes, I've now deleted my second Facebook account to date - the first, which I started back in 2008 when Master Logic was a baby, got the heave ho on New Year's Eve 2016 or suchlike - I think that I wrote about it back then.  Why did I feel the need to delete account #2, which commenced in 2016, back when I was made redundant from the civil service?  Probably for the same reason I got rid of account #1!

Let's explain the background to my Facebook woes - basically it's because I don't think that my autism really suits this method of sharing rubbish on social media.  Facebook tends to be used by a slightly older demographic than say, Instragram or Twitter and as a result, most of the people write absolute sentimental claptrap on there.  A case in point is my brother - he's always slating his wife to me and Mr Random, but on Facebook he's extolling her virtues.  I honestly get sick of the hypocrisy of it all.

The other day on 23rd December 2020, my sister-in-law wrote some kind of soppy post about 'wishing everyone a great year, but remembering all of the people who have died (sic)' - this is not the exact wording, but you get the jist?  I was quite annoyed so wrote a comment along the lines of 'you may say this, but remember Aunt Pat who died of Covid earlier this year, you and your husband couldn't be bothered to log onto her online funeral nor express any sadness.  You are only concerned with your own family's wishes and needs and ignore your in-laws'.  It's a long story, but I'll not repeat myself as I've already covered it previously via this blog, but I didn't really regret writing it because I've had enough.

The very next day I took steps to permanently close my Facebook account because as we all know, suspending the thing doesn't work properly and it likes to re-open itself.  Master Logic noticed my brother's response to my comment and let me know - my brother backed up his wife (as you'd expect) and said that Aunt Pat and that side of the family were distant relatives and didn't really matter!  Ha - tell that to our Mother, eh?   I blocked and deleted my brother and sister-in-law's mobile numbers on my phone and WhatsApp.  If indeed I receive any online abuse from any of their friends and relatives I'll report it as a hate crime against autistics.  

So what now?  I'm still on Insta, but I've blocked my mother because she uses Social Media as a method of spying on her living children (not the dead though ... like Peter). I also use Twitter, but don't really argue with anyone on there.  Facebook was always my downfall because I'll write and share too much detail on there, which happened on the secret group of a local charity page a couple of months ago.  There were no rules of engagement though, so I hated being slapped on the wrist.  

As for my wider family (mother, stepfather, brother, sister-in-law etc) I've told them that I'm autistic and they're not interested.  I give up with them, I really do.  We'll be moving house when Master Logic has completed his GCSEs so I'll no longer live in the borough I grew up in.












No comments:

Post a Comment