Tuesday 15 January 2019

Post #153 - Rescue Cats: Tabitha Mary (Tabby)

I've always yearned for a kitten, despite how difficult they can be.  My brother once owned a scrawny black and white splodgy kitten (later, a cat(!) whom he named Nigel.  I think that you'll agree that it's an odd choice of moniker, but as my brother said, "he didn't look like a Dave."  Fair dos.

Back in October 2017, When Tilly was getting older and more infirm, combined with Sophie's nervous nature, I talked Mr Logic into adopting a third cat, a kitten.  Yes, with the benefit of hindsight, it was a very stupid thing to do indeed, but what can I say?  I'm an impulsive kind of person and I just love the furry whiskery beasts (despite leaving the lion's share of care to poor old Mr Logic ...)  To facilitate getting a kitten I posted on the local branch of Cats' Protection's Facebook page to enquire whether anyone needed to give a ginger or tabby kitten a loving home.

A fortnight or so later I received a message stating that a beautiful female (queen) kitten had been taken on by CP and would I be interested in adopting her?  Well, yes, of course I would.  When we visited the rescue centre which was located in someone's private house we immediately fell in love with a tiny big eared scrap of a kitten and quite frankly, most feline fans would have.

As soon as the kitten arrived in chez Logic she was trouble.  Lively and crazy she soon started to harass poor old Sophie - Tilly seemed quite oblivious to her presence most of the time.  The jumping, snarling, biting and scratching went on for weeks - Tabitha the kitten started wrecking the household bit by bit.  One particular morning I was awoken to the sound of cats fighting on my duvet and Sophie (once again!) defecated on the cover - it was truly gross.


Tabby stayed with us for six months, but quite frankly, most days were a living hell.  We borrowed a pet cage from my parents and she had to be shut in there every night because we couldn't trust her alone in the house.  Master Logic loved her, but we were struggling.  When she knocked my glass off of the coffee table for the third time in a row I decided that I'd had enough and we contacted the rescue centre to ask what we should do.  Tabitha had been well cared for, neutered and vaccinated in our care, but she'd developed a problem with her digestive transit, meaning that her stools were both runny and pungent.

Tabitha was duly returned to Cats' Protection, it was really sad and I've honestly never seen Master Logic cry so much, but it had to be so.  Apparently the rescue lady told Mr Logic that the kitten's origins were unknown and she may have been a feral creature.  Hmm.  I'm almost sure that Tabby had been a bengal or have bengal heritage, which makes for a beautiful animal but a rubbish pet in my opinion.











No comments:

Post a Comment