Monday 24 October 2016

Post #73: Taking A Break From Facebook

Yes, I'm the first person to say that I lack empathy, but I really cannot help it.  I like to assist others, but not when it's detrimental to my own (often fragile) wellbeing.  Fair enough: so what's sparked this off then?  Well, it's nothing specific, but a bit of a build up of a number of issues ...

In my experience, which is limited in certain ways, blokes tend to talk at you more than to you.  I mean, as an Autistic woman I tend to befriend neurotypical men more than any other group of people, but it does come with its own issues; self-absorption is one of them.  You may advise me to cut off, which I often do - Facebook Messenger messages are often left unread and not replied to and yes, I've even managed to turn off the 'dings' and the stupid face icon functionality. That said, sometimes something more dramatic is required and this afternoon I've deactivated my Facebook account.  I feel better already - I mean, I've deactivated it a few times before and even if I haven't, I've made a thing of removing the Facebook app from my smartphone and tablet.  I usually last about a week, but even seven days counts as a digital detox in my opinion.  I'm still retaining Twitter and Instagram though as I find those much more impersonal and quite frankly, more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment