Friday 15 January 2016

Post #40: Lack Of Detail

Yeah, it's me and I'm moaning again - sorry!  I just feel like I have to vent it out on someone and well, the interweb's a good place for that kind of thing because nobody pre-judges you (that bit's a joke by the way, of course they do!)

My email to a council employee explains in greater detail.  I've redacted anything specific:

Carers' Conference - Friday, 16th January: Feedback


Hi XXXX,

Thank you for your invitation to the Carers' Conference which was held today.  Unfortunately I turned up at 11:30, believing the 'Conference' to be more of a 'wander around the various stalls and talk to people event' and not a 'sit down in the Council Chamber and listen to professionals giving PowerPoint presentations'.  Re-reading the A4 Word background document, as did my husband, we concluded, a former XXXXX ourselves, that there just wasn't enough clarity concerning this issue.  For example, I'd always structure an Conference agenda in this way:

10:00 - Registration/Coffee
10:15 - Opening Address - Her Worshipful, The Mayor of XXXXX
10:45 - First speaker etc

This format is also useful to those of us accessing the attachment via a smartphone app as it's extremely clear.  Also, the use of a structured format and plain English encompasses the needs of people with conditions such as Dyslexia and Dyscalcula as well as those on the Autistic Spectrum.  

I was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome myself last year following my son's diagnosis, via XXXXX NHS Trust, back in 2011.  As you can imagine, I'm very interested to get involved in the Special Needs Sector.  Both myself and my son experience extreme social anxiety and tools such as background documents/structure etc are essential elements to allow us to function.  The National Autistic Society (NAS) encompass this extremely well in regard to the background material they provide pertaining to their annual 'AutismCon' events and a former colleague of mine sits on the organising committee.

Yours sincerely

(F)Aspie




No comments:

Post a Comment