Monday 4 January 2016

Post #36 - Dealing With Care Issues

Regular readers may be aware that my husband was, until recently, the main point of caring contact for his 90-year-old mother, who has vascular dementia and 54-year-old brother, who has profound learning and physical difficulties.  I won't repeat myself as it's all detailed in one of my other blogs: Caring For The Carers.

Right, as an aspie, dealing with the minefield of family care is pretty bad.  Aspies are always told that they 'lack empathy' and that's true for me in some ways, but not in others.  I do care deeply for those close to me, but if it's an unfeeling and selfish person, well let's just say that I'm not afraid to make my feelings known.  I did this once after my brother died; one of my grandfather's Pimlico neighbours (who was, strangely, the daughter-in-law of former UK Prime Minister, Stanley Baldwin) kept calling our home number and accusing us of ignoring my grandfather's needs.  After about two terse calls with the patrician pest I told her to go away in no uncertain terms.

I've just dealt with my husband's email correspondence regarding our new focus on close family care this year.  I think that this late 1980s track really sums up my thoughts at the moment: Tired Of Getting Pushed Around.

2 comments:

  1. I vaguely remember that track but do remember the two rubber legged guitarists from Fine Young Cannibals. Good times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed - I think, if my memory serves me right, they were part of another earlier band, but I cannot recall which. The FYC, of which I owned the album on vinyl, were led by their peerless lead singer Roland Gift, who appeared as one of Christine Keeler's spurned lovers in the late 80s film 'Scandal'. As you can imagine, I am totally obsessed with the 80s - it's one of my Aspie special interests.

    ReplyDelete