Tuesday 17 October 2017

Post #121 - Asperger's And Me - Chris Packham's Documentary

I have just finished watching the documentary, which I enjoyed very much. Prior to me finding out that we share an Asperger's diagnosis, I had seen Chris Packham appear on various shows and particularly recall him saying on Room 101 that he threw away a series of children's drawings that he removed from a friend's kitchen. Bizarre.

Anyway, so many of Chris's oddities chimed with my own, although I have never eaten a tadpole, licked a beetle or practised kestrel husbandry.  Male Asperger's does project differently though.

As for the autism 'cures' over in the US, I don't really agree. There's also an interesting Louis Theroux documentary about the same subject area. It was sad, as a parent of an autistic son myself, to see a mother in pain.

My thoughts are that it's all very well to concentrate on an Aspergian's special qualities, but let's be frank, nobody really wants to employ you, do they?  Most of us are devoid of work.  A greater understanding of Autism/Asperger's is definitely required, but from previous experience I know that this can be difficult.  I will try to make it my life's work(!) to educate and inform people as much as I can, this is the main reason why I write this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment