Tuesday 19 September 2017

Post #117 - Volunteering Woes

As regular readers may be aware, that since May, I have been working as the volunteer communications officer in the local branch of my chosen charity. This involves drafting the monthly newsletter plus creating and webmastering the new online presence (the website).  My problem is that I'm not a perfectionist by nature and never have been, nor intend to be. This does cause a few issues in regard to working alongside more picky or strident people, as happened during my career quite a few times - it's those Belbin Team roles thing again!  I also take criticism badly and extremely personally.  I suppose that being an autistic female I should understand things a little better, but believe me, most people thing seem to think that I'm wholly unaffected by the condition. I'm really not and my autism tends to come out more in certain environments.  Often I feel that I just don't know the right way to do things at times; dealing with slightly sensitive topics such as disability means that I'm inclined to put my huge size 9 feet in certain places I should not.

It doesn't mean that I want to give up though - I really don't and plan to try to make a difference somehow.  It's just so hard for me - at least I was actually paid money to deal with this kind of thing during my career, now that I'm doing it for free it seems to piss me off so much more.

*Update* - 4th October 2017

Due to the fact that I couldn't really see what the build site looked like on the world wide web, I published the website live last week.  Apart from my husband (and now the bloggersphere, such as it is) I have told nobody.    The committee meeting is tomorrow morning ...

I am planning to emigrate tonight.

*Update* - 22nd October 2017

Both myself and my husband quit the charity last Thursday.  Apologies if my rather abrupt communication style and blog upset anyone - I really didn't mean to.  Thank you to the Branch Officer too - you were great.


No comments:

Post a Comment