Thursday 15 June 2017

Post #110 - Local Adult Autism Support Groups

There are quite a few groups pertaining to support autistic adults dotted around the UK, many are quite scattered and slightly random.  My neighbouring borough places them all under the umbrella of the National Autistic Society (NAS), but ours doesn't and seems to split the 0-25 age group and the 25 and upwards.  Fair enough - each to his or her own. 

My borough has one that covers much of south-east London and the main aim seems to be that it's an environment to bring adults with autism together in a convivial environment twice a month.  Last night I went to my first peer discussion group with two hats on (not literally - it's far too hot at the moment to wear one, let alone two pieces of headgear ...) and despite feeling a tad nervous beforehand, really enjoyed it. The first metaphorical hat was that I wished to write a small piece for the NAS monthly newsletter and the second hat was representing myself, as a slightly socially excluded Aspergan.

It was pleasant to meet my former Aspies and Auties (or whatever people wish to class themselves as, if indeed they do.)  I can also be as geeky as I want without the need to censor myself.  Huzzah.

No comments:

Post a Comment